- 1 1/2 pounds Puff Pastry *
- 1 Quince Paste **
- 1 Gruyere or Manchego cheese
* See recipe for "Little
** See recipe for "Quince
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- With a rolling pin roll the dough until it forms a 12-inch square,
1/8 inch thick. With a sharp knife, trim edges. Place in the freezer
for 5 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, bring the 2 ends of the dough
toward the center, and fold lengthwise. Now fold again lengthwise
toward the center to make a 4-layer dough 12 inches wide. Transfer
to the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from freezer.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. With a 6-inch round cutter
or pan lid, cut rounds until all the dough has been used. Fill each
round with a slice of Quince Paste and a slice of cheese, then fold
closed. Lay them on cookie sheets in staggered rows, about 2 inches
apart. Return to the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Transfer empanadas to
a wire rack to cool. Serve immediately or the same day.
Makes 24 (6-inch) empanadas.