- Ripe fruit *
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup superfine sugar, to taste
- 3 tablespoons tequila (optional) **
- Puree fruit in a food processor.
- Transfer the puree to a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar to taste and the tequila, if desired. Mix well to
dissolve the sugar.
- Place the mixture in the freezer and chill until
it begins to freeze around the edges and across the top, about 2
- Whisk to break up and mix in the ice crystals, then return to the
freezer and chill for 2 hours more.
- Whisk again, breaking up the ice crystals and re-mixing into an
- Cover with plastic wrap and return to
the freezer until frozen through, 2 to 3 hours more or up to several
- Remove from the freezer 45 minutes before serving so the ice softens
enough to spoon it out.
* 4 pounds ripe watermelon, cantaloupe, or other sweet melon, seeded
and rind removed or 6 cups berries, stemmed, if necessary, or 6
ripe mangos, peeled and pulp cut off the seeds.
** The tequila not only adds flavor, it prevents the mixture from