- Ripe fruit *
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup superfine sugar, to taste
- 3 tablespoons tequila (optional) **
- Puree fruit in a food processor.
- Transfer the puree to a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar to taste and the tequila, if desired. Mix well to
dissolve the sugar.
- Place the mixture in the freezer and chill until
it begins to freeze around the edges and across the top, about 2
- Whisk to break up and mix in the ice crystals, then return to the
freezer and chill for 2 hours more.
- Whisk again, breaking up the ice crystals and re-mixing into an
- Cover with plastic wrap and return to
the freezer until frozen through, 2 to 3 hours more or up to several
- Remove from the freezer 45 minutes before serving so the ice softens
enough to spoon it out.
* 4 pounds ripe watermelon, cantaloupe, or other sweet melon, seeded
and rind removed or 6 cups berries, stemmed, if necessary, or 6
ripe mangos, peeled and pulp cut off the seeds.
** The tequila not only adds flavor, it prevents the mixture from
Other Southwestern dessert recipes you may like...
Caramel Apple Empanadas
Fried Custard Squares
Cafe Latte Gelatin with Cinnamon Cream
Peaches 'n' Cream Quesadillas