Fry Bread with Seasonal Berries
and Prickly Pear Syrup
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups warm water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup prickly pear or other fruit syrup or honey
- Seasonal berries
- Confectioners' sugar
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Gradually
stir in water until dough becomes soft and pliable without sticking
to the bowl. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface, folding
outer edges of the dough toward the center, about 5 minutes.
the dough to the bowl; cover with a clean towel. Let rest at least
- Shape the dough into egg-size balls. Roll each out to a square with
a thickness of 1/4 inch on a lightly floured board. Cut each dough
piece into four small triangles.
- Heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil in a skillet over medium heat until
the oil is hot but not smoking, about 350 degrees F. Carefully place
1 piece of the dough in the oil. Cook, turning once, until the dough
turns golden brown on both sides and puffs, about 3 minutes.
drain on paper towels.
- Repeat frying with each piece of dough. Keep
warm between two clean kitchen towels in an oven set on low.
- Drizzle some of the prickly pear syrup on each plate.
- Top with fry
bread, scatter with berries.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar
or drizzle with more sauce.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Rest: 30 minutes
Cook: 3 minutes per batch
Per serving: 391 calories, 18 percent of calories from fat,
8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 74 g carbohydrates,
6 g protein, 560 mg sodium, 2 g fiber