- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Cut in shortening and
add just enough milk to make a soft dough, just firm enough to roll.
- Cover bowl and let dough rest 30 to 60 minutes. Roll 1/4 inch thick
on lightly floured board and cut in diamond-shaped pieces.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan to approximately 370 to 380 degrees
F. Add a few pieces at a time.
- Turn at once so they will puff evenly on both sides; then turn back
to brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Yield: 50 to 60
Other Southwestern dessert recipes you may like...
Caramel Apple Empanadas
Fried Custard Squares
Cafe Latte Gelatin with Cinnamon Cream
Peaches 'n' Cream Quesadillas