Let me see if I can do this to make sense. I don't normally have a particular
measured out way of cooking, just add here and there and see how it comes out (I
think we are all like that).
- About 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boil and shred
- 1 can cream of mushroom
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can chopped green chiles *
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- Grated Cheddar cheese, about
- Corn tortillas - I use anywhere between 10 to 12, torn into bite-size
- Canola oil or your choice of oil
* or if you prefer
to buy them fresh and roast yourself (this is what I prefer, but we can't always
get decent chiles)
- Boil your chicken and then shred it. Set aside. In large pan add both soups (do
not add water or milk), green chiles and chopped onions. Now add your chicken to
this. Heat to a slow simmer.
- In a separate pan, heat about 1/4 to 1/2-inch oil. Add your torn corn tortillas
and soft fry them. You don't want them crunchy. Drain excess oil from tortillas
on paper towel.
- Add your soft fry corn tortillas to the chicken mixture. You will need to play
with the amount of tortilla you add until it looks like you have enough tortillas
added without making it too dry. Shut off heat. Now add about 1/2 of the grated
cheese. You may also add some sour cream to this if you wish.
- Spread mixture in a greased baking dish. I normally use a 13 x 9-inch pan for
this. Top with more grated cheese and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes
or until bubbly.
- To finish this off you can top with salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole.
Warning! Don't take too big of a piece of this, it is very filling and catches
up with you. I think it swells in your stomach!
From the kitchen of Toni - Arizona