Chicken and Mushroom Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 8 (8-inch) corn or flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced mild green chiles
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking
dish with oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add
mushrooms and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Pour enchilada sauce into shallow bowl. Dip 1 tortilla into sauce.
Place tortilla on piece of wax paper. Spread 1 tablespoon sour cream
across center of tortilla. Mound 1/4 cup chicken over. Top with
3 tablespoons mushrooms, then 1 tablespoon chiles and 1/4 cup Cheddar
cheese. Fold bottom half of tortilla over filling and roll up to
enclose completely. Place enchilada in prepared dish seam side down.
- Repeat dipping and filling with remaining tortillas, sour cream,
chicken, mushrooms, chiles and Cheddar cheese.
- Spoon remaining enchilada sauce evenly over. (Can be prepared 1
hour ahead. Cover enchiladas and let stand at room temperature.)
- Bake until enchiladas are heated through, about 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Bon Appetit - March 1993
>> Southwestern Enchilada Recipes