- 12 medium flour or corn tortillas
- 2 whole cooked chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 green onions, minced
- Pepper to taste
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 cups grated jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Oil for frying, if corn tortillas are used
- Cilantro and avocado slices for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the chicken breasts by removing bone and skin. Shred the
meat into long pieces.
- Mash the cream cheese with a spoon until
smooth. Mix in chicken, green onions, salt, pepper, and one half
of the diced chiles. Mix in 1 cup of the jack cheese. This is the
filling for the enchiladas and may be prepared ahead.
- If flour tortillas
are used, simply heat until limp in a frying pan. If you use corn
tortillas, heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry each tortilla
until limp, adding oil as needed.
- Fill each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of the filling. Roll
the tortilla and place seam-side down in a lightly greased baking
pan. Mix the sour cream with tomato sauce, chili powder, and remaining
diced chiles. Spoon over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 325 degrees F. They should be just
hot, with the cheese melted.
- Garnish as desired. Cilantro leaves and pale green avocado slices
make a lovely topping.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.