Roast Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 deli roasted chicken (about 2 pounds) *
- 1(4 ounce) can diced green chiles (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 3 cups enchilada sauce (see recipe below)
- 10 flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- Garnish (cilantro, black olives, etc.), optional
Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce **
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups picante sauce or salsa (16 ounce jar)
- Enchiladas: Cut meat from bones. Discard bones, skin, and visible fat. Shred
meat, and stir in diced chilies. Place about 3/4 cup enchilada sauce
in bottom of baking dish. Place 1/10 chicken mixture in middle of
each tortilla and roll up. Place rolled enchiladas in a baking dish.
Pour remaining sauce over top enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-45 minutes or until enchiladas are
hot in center.
- To serve, garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of cilantro
or sliced black olives.
- Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce: Substitute milk for water and prepare gravy according to package
directions. Stir in picante sauce.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
To freeze for later use: Place rolled tortillas in a freezer safe
container. Cover with sauce. Cover with a tight lid and freeze.
To cook, place frozen enchiladas in cold oven. Turn on oven to 325
degrees F and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours OR thaw pan in microwave
then place in preheated 350 degree F oven and bake as above.
* Precooked chicken can be purchased from the deli counter or often,
precooked chicken is available shrink wrapped in the fresh meat
counter. Either way, when time is an issue, it is convenient to
purchase the meat already cooked and eliminate that step.
** Canned enchilada sauce may be substituted in recipe when time
is an issue.
Posted by Recipethyme at Recipe Goldmine 8/28/2001 12:44 am.
Source: Presented by Becky Low on September 18, 2000