Tucson Beef Enchiladas
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and fat drained
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced chile peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 corn tortillas, softened
- Olive oil
- Red sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Heat 1/2 inch of oil in skillet and fry tortillas about 15 seconds
each side; remove and pat off excess oil.
- In separate skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil and sauté onion until
tender. Add chile peppers, garlic, tomato sauce, salt and pepper.
Add ground beef. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Dip tortillas in egg, fill with sauce mixture, roll and place in
shallow greased baking dish.
- Pour red sauce over tortillas, top with grated cheese and bake uncovered
at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings