Grilled Beef Fajitas with Green Yogurt Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- Juice of 2 limes (1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1/4 cup for brushing vegetables
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, a few sprigs
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) sirloin steak or flank steak
- 2 red or green bell peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Maui or Texas Sweet
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 to 12 large flour tortillas
- 2 yellow, orange or red vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
- Heat a grill pan or electric grill to high heat, or prepare
- In a shallow dish, combine the juice of 1 1/2 limes (reserving
1/2 lime) with 2 tablespoons olive oil, hot pepper sauce and
chopped thyme leaves. Coat beef in the lime-oil. Grill beef 6 or 7 minutes on each side.
- Baste pepper halves with a little oil, and set on grill alongside
beef. Cut onion into 4 or 5 thick slices, cutting across the
onion. Remove outer ring of the sliced onion, discarding the
skin. Baste onion with oil and place on grill. Season beef and
vegetables with salt and pepper. Peppers and onions will grill
in about 10 minutes. They should be charred at edges, but still have a bite to them.
- In a food processor, combine yogurt, the juice of reserved 1/2
lime, the jalapeno pepper, cilantro leaves and salt. Process
the ingredients into a smooth, green sauce.
- When you remove beef and vegetables from the grill, char and
warm tortillas. Slice cooked beef on an angle and transfer to
a serving plate. Slice peppers into strips and cut onion rings
in half. Transfer cut veggies to platter alongside beef.
- To assemble, pile beef, pepper strips and onions into tortillas
and top with chopped tomatoes and lots of yogurt green sauce.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.