Sizzling Onion Fajitas
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) top round or flank steak*
- 2 medium (8 to 10 ounce each) sweet Spanish onions
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Hot pepper-onion relish
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Hot Pepper-Onion Relish
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet Spanish onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- Season to taste with salt
- 2 large avocados
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoon minced sweet Spanish onion
- Dash garlic powder
- Hot pepper sauce
* Boned chicken breasts may be used in place of beef.
- Fajitas: Place steak in shallow dish and cover with marinade. Refrigerate 4 to
6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Peel onions and slice thin to measure 5 to 6 cups onion rings.
- Cut belln peppers into julienne strips. Sauté in butter or margarine until tender.
Season with lemon-pepper seasoning. Keep hot while cooking meat.
- Remove steak from marinade, reserving marinade. Place on grill over hot coals
or flame or on rack of broiler pan. Cook steak to desired doneness, turning once.
Or sear meat in cast iron skillet to desired doneness. Cut into 1/2-inch strips
and heap with onion and pepper on sizzling hot platters or in individual iron skillets.
- To serve, fill heated tortillas with sizzling meat and vegetables and top with
guacamole and hot pepper onion relish.
- Serve with refried beans.
- Marinade: Combine ingredients and blend well.
- Hot Pepper-Onion Relish: Combine all ingredients together.
- Guacamole: Peel and mash avocados. Mix with tomato, onion and a dash of garlic
powder. Season to taste with salt and hot pepper sauce. Cover and chill.