Cornsicles with Shrimp and Oregano
- 6 ears corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Mexican oregano or 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 12 medium shrimp
- 24 popsicle sticks
- Peel, devein and dice shrimp. Trim corn and remove the husks and
silk. Save and wash larger husks. Cut corn kernels from the cob,
scraping out as much milk as you can. Grind kernels using a meat
grinder with a sharp blade. Add salt, white pepper, oregano and
shrimp. Mix well.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Drop a tablespoon of corn mixture onto center of a clean husk. Fold
left side of the husk into the center, then the right, and then
fold the bottom end upward. Push a popsicle stick 2 to 3 inches
into the open end and pinch the husk around the stick with your
fingers. Tear a thin strand from a dry husk and tie it around the
cornsicle. Place the rolls, sticks in the air and very close together,
in a glass baking dish or loaf pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the corn mixture is firm and solid.
- To eat a cornsicle, peel off the corn husk and eat it hot from the
stick, as you would a popsicle.