- 7 peaches, peeled and pitted, or 8 plums, pitted
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 (2-inch) sticks canela
- 2 pods star anise
- 2 teaspoons finely diced seeded Guajillo chile
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Cut peaches or plums into wedges about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a small non-reactive saucepan, combine all ingredients except for peaches. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until brine is well infused.
- Add half of the fruit to the simmering brine and cook for 2 minutes until the fruit softens slightly.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove peach or plum wedges to a bowl and repeat the process
with remaining fruit.
- Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, drain fruit. If desired, leave the star anise and canela sticks for an inedible garnish.
- Reserve brine for the next batch, if desired.