Golden Chicken (Pollo Dorado)
- 1 or 2 dried de arbol chiles
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons shredded orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (3 1/2 pound) broiler-fryer chicken, cut into quarters
- Orange slices
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Crush chiles into coarse flakes in mortar with pestle.
- Combine chiles, orange juice, tequila, garlic, orange rind and salt
in small bowl. Gradually add oil, whisking continuously, until marinade
is thoroughly blended.
- Arrange chicken in single layer in shallow glass baking dish. Pour
marinade over chicken; turn pieces to coat all sides. Refrigerate,
covered, turning chicken over and brushing with marinade occasionally,
2 to 3 hours.
- Prepare coals for charcoal fire or heat broiler. Drain chicken,
reserving marinade. Grill or broil chicken 6 to 8 inches from hot
coals or heat source, brushing frequently with reserved marinade, 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken over; continue cooking and brushing until chicken is
cooked through, about 15 minutes longer.
- Transfer chicken to serving dish; garnish with orange slices and cilantro.