Spicy Mexican Shrimp Skewers
These shrimp are flavored in a zesty tequila, garlic, lime and chile marinade.
- 1/2 cup tequila 125 mL
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1 teaspoon sea salt 5 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 2 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes 15 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon
smoked paprika 2 mL
- 2 teaspoons chili powder or ancho chili powder 10 mL
cup fresh lime juice 60 mL
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, minced 5 mL
- 1/3 cup chopped
cilantro 75 mL
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds medium
- bamboo skewers, soaked in water overnight
- In non-reactive bowl, combine all ingredients except for shrimp.
- In heavy, resealable plastic bag, place marinade and shrimp, turning bag over
a few times and refrigerate about 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove shrimp, discard marinade and skewer.
- Place on hot grill for 5 to 6 minutes, turning over, or until they are opaque
Yield: 6 servings
Tips: Use the freshest chili powder as possible as its aroma decreases with age.
Shrimp may be grilled under a broiler instead of on the barbecue.
Nutritional Analysis Serving size: about 8 to 10 shrimp Per Serving: Calories
115 Total Fat 3g Saturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 145mg Sodium 735mg Carbohydrates 1g
Fibre 0g Protein 15g
Source: Nathan Fong, food stylist and writer, Vancouver
Recipe and photo credit: