Masa Harina Enchilada Patties
- 1 (2 pound) bag Masa Harina
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (optional)
- 2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
- 1 quart milk, warmed (not scalded)
- Put masa in a large bowl with baking powder, cheese, if desired,
then milk. Mix thoroughly. Make balls the size of golf balls (or
as large as you like). Put one ball on a clean dampened towel and
put the other half of the dish towel over the patty. Mash with a
salad plate. Repeat with remaining balls of dough.
- Fry in pure lard,
about 1/2 inch deep. Do not fry in lard that is too hot as they
will not get done inside and will burn. Hot grease is necessary,
These will freeze well for a long time after they are cooked.
A good serving suggestion is to serve them piping hot with chili
Colorado over them, along with frijoles and Spanish rice on the