Pepper Burrito Bowls (Stuffed Peppers)
Meaty portabella mushrooms take the place of meat in these vegetarian-friendly
pepper burrito bowls. Brown rice and beans make a healthy yet satisfying addition
to the filling.
- 3 large red, green or orange peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
- 3 large fresh portabella mushrooms, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (796 mL/28 ounces)) diced tomatoes, partially drained
- 1 package Tex-Mex seasoning
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) canned black beans
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) frozen corn
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Optional: Chopped cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream and salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side up in a shallow
baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook brown rice as per package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add diced portabellas
and sauté 4-5 minutes, or until most of the moisture has been released. Add onion
and garlic to the pan; sauté another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes,
Tex-Mex seasoning, black beans, corn, and cooked rice to the pan. Simmer, stirring
occasionally, over medium-low heat until mixture thickens slightly, 6-8 minutes.
- Spoon rice mixture into each pepper half (approximately 1/2 cup (125 mL) in each).
Sprinkle each pepper with shredded cheese. Cover baking dish with foil and bake
for 25-30 minutes, or until peppers are softened.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro, and diced avocado, sour cream and salsa on
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 45 min | Serves: 6
Recipe courtesy of Mushrooms Canada.
Reprinted with permission from the Mushroom Council.