Chicken Chile Lasagna
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican-cheese blend, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas, halved
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, onions, 1 1/2 cups Mexican-cheese
blend, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and cilantro. Stir in chicken; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually
add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in Monterey jack cheese, sour
cream, chiles, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining cumin.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce in a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch
baking dish. Top with six tortilla halves, a third of the chicken
mixture and a fourth of the cheese sauce. Repeat tortilla, chicken
and cheese sauce layers twice. Top with remaining tortillas, cheese
sauce and Mexican cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 12 servings