Sliced Lemon Pie
This is what the Old West bakers adapted from an old Shaker recipe from Ohio.
This is a quite tart dessert.
- 5 large lemons
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Skin and remove all white from lemons. Slice thin, remove seeds, and mix with
sugar and salt. Let stand for at least 2 hours.
- Add beaten eggs to lemons and mix very well. Pour into a prepared 8-inch pie
crust. Cover with top crust and bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. This texture will be considerably coarser than a modern
- Cool in the refrigerator and serve in small slices.