South-of-the-Border Custard Cassero
Based on rice instead of a pie crust, this savory custard is much like a quiche,
a quiche studded with chilies and flavored with taco sauce and onion. The dish goes
together in a snap. While it's in the oven, toss a salad.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 tablespoon instant
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles,
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Parsley, optional
- In large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, taco sauce, onion and salt until well
blended. Reserving a few pieces of chiles for garnish, stir in remaining chiles,
rice and cheese. Pour into greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven until knife inserted near center comes out
clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Garnish with reserved chiles and parsley, if desired.
Reprinted with permission from
the American Egg Board.