Southwest Skillet Pot Pie
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers, drained (optional)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- Salsa and sour cream
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- Filling: In 10-inch skillet, brown and cook ground beef; drain thoroughly.
Return meat to pan. Add onion; return to heat and cook until tender.
Add mixed vegetables, beans, jalapeno peppers, water and taco seasoning.
Cook over medium-high heat until most of liquid is gone.
- Crust: In medium bowl, combine flour, corn meal, sugar,
baking powder and salt. Add milk, egg, oil and chiles; stir until
flour is moistened. Spread evenly over top of meat mixture in skillet.
Cook, covered, over low heat for 30 to 35 minutes or a wooden pick
inserted into crust comes out clean.
- Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.
Serves 4 to 6.
You can also bake this in the oven. Using an ovenproof skillet,
bake at 375 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until crust is lightly