Strawberry Margarita Pie
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 1/4 cup fresh Mexican lime juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup frozen sweetened strawberries
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Pretzel Crust: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine pretzels, sugar and melted butter in a medium-size bowl. Mix well. Press
the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake the pretzel crust for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove the dish to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Filling: Sprinkle gelatine over lime juice in a small saucepan. Add 1/4 cup of
the sugar and then the egg yolks. Stir to blend. Cook over very low heat until the
gelatine dissolves and the mixture thickens. Do not boil. Remove from heat; stir
in tequila and strawberries. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture is
thick enough to mound on a spoon.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar to make a
glossy meringue. Fold into the cooled gelatine mixture. Whip cream until stiff.
Fold whipped cream into gelatine mixture. Spoon the gelatine into the prepared crust.
- Cover and refrigerate until the filling is firm.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries and lime slices, if desired.