Achiote Chicken with Roasted Poblano Rice
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves with skin, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon achiote paste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
Roasted Poblano Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 whole cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Manchego cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for garnish
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Lightly oil a shallow baking dish. Place chicken in dish. Combine lemon juice,
achiote paste, olive oil, garlic, cilantro and salt in a small bowl. Spread evenly
over both sides of chicken and arrange chicken skin-side down. Refrigerate for 20
- Place one oven rack in center of oven and one in top position. Heat oven to 400
degrees F. Bake chicken on middle rack 30 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear,
turning skin-side up halfway through cooking. Move baking dish from center to top
rack and set oven to broil. Broil chicken 4 minutes or until skin is crisp.
- Serve chicken with Roasted Poblano Rice and garnish with lime wedges.
- To make rice, place rice, chicken broth, butter and garlic in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil. Stir and cover; reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Remove
from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Rub poblanos with oil. Broil 4 inches from heat for
about 5 minutes, turning several times, until skin is charred. Place in bowl and
cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove skin, stem and seeds from poblanos
and finely chop. Remove garlic from rice and fluff rice with a fork. Stir in poblanos,
lime juice and cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Chicken Council