Chicken Fajita Skillet
A one skillet meal full of bold flavor from Ro*Tel® Tomatoes, crisp fajita vegetables and spice rubbed chicken thighs.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups jasmine rice
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro*Tel® Serrano Diced Tomatoes with Serrano Peppers, undrained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Chopped cilantro, lime wedges and sour cream (optional)
- Stir together salt, chili powder, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and cumin in small bowl. Season chicken on both sides with about half of the spice mixture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Pour in 1 tablespoon oil, peppers and onion. Cook until vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and chicken to skillet. Cook until chicken is browned, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add rice, undrained tomatoes, chicken stock and any remaining spice mixture to skillet and stir to combine. Place chicken on top of rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through (180 degrees F).
- Pour peppers and onions back into skillet and continue heating until hot, about 3 minutes. Serve with chopped cilantro, lime wedges and sour cream, if desired.
Per serving: Calcium 38 mg 4% DV Carbohydrate 39g 13% DV Cholesterol 115mg 38% DV Total Fat 12g 19% DV Iron 3mg 17% DV Calories 377kcal 19% DV Sodium 1177mg 49% DV Protein 26g 52% DV Saturated Fat 3g 14% DV Sugars 3g 0% DV Dietary Fiber 2g 6% DV Vitamin C 55mg 92% DV Vitamin A 692iu 14% DV