- 8 serving-size pieces chicken or turkey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) jar mole sauce
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce or tomato sauce
- 1/2 to 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 square dark, unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a deep ovenproof Dutch oven over medium heat. Add
chicken pieces, and cook until brown on all sides, about 20 minutes.
- Season chicken with 1 teaspoon sat and pepper.
- Cover pan with lid
and place in oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken juices run
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine mole sauce,
enchilada or tomato sauce and chicken broth, beginning with 1/2
cup. Add more as needed to adjust consistency and flavor. Heat to
boiling; reduce heat to simmer. Stir in peanut butter, chocolate
and sugar. Cook and stir until chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Continue simmering 10 minutes longer. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt,
or to taste. If sauce seems too thick, add just enough water or
chicken stock to thin to desired consistency.
- Remove chicken from oven and pour sauce over chicken.
- Reduce oven temperature
to 300 degrees F. Return chicken to oven, covered, and bake for
30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is tender, almost falling off
- Serve with white or Mexican rice or tortillas.
Makes 4 servings.
This recipe doubles easily.