Chiles Rellenos with Cheese and Smoked Chicken
Yield: 12 servings
- 24 medium Anaheim peppers
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 24 ounces (6 cups) Wisconsin ricotta cheese
- 20 ounces (about 5 3/4 cups) Wisconsin brie cheese, in 1/4 inch dice
- 8 ounces (2 cups) Wisconsin mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 8 ounces (2 cups) Wisconsin asiago cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 cups smoked chicken, julienned
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Tabasco™ sauce to taste
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 24 ounces beer
- 4 egg whites
- 8 raw tomatillos, skin husks removed and roughly chopped
- 1 raw poblano chile pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 10 spinach leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- 4 ounces (1 cup) Wisconsin asiago cheese, grated
- Toss Anaheim peppers in oil. Broil, turning occasionally, until blistered. Place in stainless steel bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and cool until cool enough to handle.
- Peel the peppers. Cut a slit down the length of the peppers. Carefully remove the seeds and vein. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and 2 eggs yolks until foamy. Add ricotta and mix thoroughly. With a rubber spatula, fold in the brie. Fold in the remaining filling ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Chill until very cold.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine egg yolks and beer. Add to dry ingredients and stir gently to combine.
- Whip egg whites to medium peak. Fold in to batter mixture. Let rest one hour.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Fill each pepper with cheese filling. Pour batter into flat container.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Dip each pepper into the batter, turning to coat completely. Drop peppers a few at a time into hot oil and deep fry for 4 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Pour 2 ounces sauce on each of 12 serving plates. Place two peppers on sauce. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and asiago.
- Serve immediately.