Shredded Chicken or Turkey
(Pollo o Pavo Deshebrado)
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Put all ingredients into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then
reduce heat to simmer and cook the chicken about 25 to 30 minutes,
or until it is very tender.
- Let the chicken cool for about 10 minutes in the liquid.
- Remove the breasts and let them cool a bit for easy handling.
- Shred the chicken into bite-size pieces. Save the cooking liquid
for sauces or soups.
Simple Deshebrado: Simmer chicken or turkey breasts in water to cover until just done.
Remove the meat, reserving the broth for another use.
When the meat is cool enough to handle, remove it from the bones,
cut it into 1-inch pieces, and shred it in a food processor fitted
with the plastic blade.