South-of-the-Border Chicken Cacciatore
Cacciatore comes alive in this spicy Mexican version.
- 4 chicken breasts, about 2-1/2 pounds (bone in)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) jar taco sauce
- 1 medium onion, cut
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
cup cornbread stuffing for garnish
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In large, deep skillet over medium-high
heat, warm oil. Add chicken breasts and sauté until browned on all sides, about
3 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and pour off all but 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion, garlic
and bell peppers; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in pizza and taco sauces; add water and parsley. Return chicken to skillet;
bring sauce to simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, turning
chicken after 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, turning chicken again; continue to simmer uncovered for another
- Spoon into serving dish, sprinkle with corn stuffing.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
Recipe and photo credit: National Chicken Council.