Bean and Cheese Quesadillas
- 1 (16 ounce) can flavored refried beans
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon salsa of choice
- 8 (about 8-inch diameter) whole wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup grated jack cheese with chiles
- 1/4 cup grated queso ranchero
- Vegetable oil
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, process beans, red onion,
cilantro, parsley and salsa until smooth.
- Place half of tortillas on work surface and spread with bean mixture.
Top each with cheeses. Top each with tortilla.
- Heat about 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in medium-large skillet, preferably
nonstick, over medium-high heat. Add one quesadilla. Cook until
beans are heated and bottom tortilla is browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully turn to brown opposite side. Repeat with remaining quesadillas,
adding more oil when necessary.
- Cut each quesadilla into 8 wedges and serve hot.
Yield: 32 wedges
Nutritional information: 43 calories, 2.1 grams protein, 7.8
grams carbohydrates, 1.1 grams fat, 114 milligrams sodium