- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim Colby cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels or black beans
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 red bell pepper, finely minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely minced
Cilantro Yogurt "Sour Cream"
- 2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely minced cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Quesadillas: Heat large skillet over low heat. Line up six tortillas.
- Divide cheese, corn, cilantro and peppers between the tortillas, then cover each
with a second tortilla.
- Place a tortilla on the dry skillet or grill and
warm until cheese is melted and tortilla is slightly golden, about three minutes.
- Flip and cook other side until golden, about one minute. Cut into wedges
and serve. Repeat with remaining quesadillas.
- Serve each wedge with
a dollop of cilantro yogurt "sour cream."
- Cilantro Yogurt "Sour Cream":
Straining yogurt gives you a no-fat version of sour cream with a
light tang that blends nicely with cilantro. Try it with chili and other spicy
dishes as well.
- Line a large strainer with a coffee filter or paper towel and place
over a mixing bowl. Pour in yogurt and let sit until some of the liquid
has drained away and the yogurt is the consistency of sour cream, about one
- Transfer to small mixing bowl; stir in cilantro and salt.
Yield: 6 quesadillas; about 1 1/2 cups Cilantro Yogurt "Sour Cream."