Shrimp Tostadas (Tostadas de Camaron)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 to 6 (6-inch, 15 cm) corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 pound (225 g) peeled shrimp, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 2 cups (250 - 500 ml) finely chopped lettuce, lightly dressed with oil and vinegar
- Heat about 1/2 inch (1 cm) of vegetable oil in a small skillet over
moderate heat and fry the tortillas, one at a time, until crisp.
Drain on paper towels.
- Heat the butter in another skillet over moderate heat and sauté
the onion until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and sauté until the shrimp are pink and firm to the
touch, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and cover the tostadas with the shrimp
mixture. Top with the grated Parmesan and the dressed lettuce.
Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer.