Mexican Skillet Rice
- 3/4 pound lean ground pork or lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 1 medium fresh tomato, seeded and chopped (optional)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cook meat in large skillet over medium-high heat until brown, stirring
to crumble; drain.
- Return meat to skillet. Add onion, chili powder,
cumin and salt; cook until onion is soft but not brown.
- Stir in rice, beans and chiles; thoroughly heat.
- Top with tomato; garnish with cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Each serving provides 313 calories, 17 grams protein, 9 grams
fat, 43 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams dietary fiber, 29 milligrams
cholesterol and 340 milligrams sodium