- 1 cup rice
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped, or 5 scallions, chopped, including green part
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of Mexican oregano
- 2 beef or chicken bouillon cubes
- Pour hot water over rice and let it stand for about 15 minutes.
Drain the rice and rinse it well in cold water. Shake the sieve
and let the rice drain for a while. Shake the rice to remove any
- In a heavy skillet, brown rice in bacon drippings or oil over low
heat. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat, cover tightly and
cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
You may use any mix of the spices you like best.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Rice Recipes