- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 cups seasoned chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Lightly sauté the almonds in lard. Place in a blender. Add 2 cups
of the chicken broth and puree until creamy.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven and brown the flour until it is light
brown. Add the almond mixture and cook over medium heat until creamy
and thick, stirring constantly. Taste for seasoning and adjust,
if necessary. Add ground cumin and cover. Remove from heat. The
sauce must be the consistency of heavy cream. If it becomes too
thick, thin it with a little reserved chicken broth and cook, stirring,
until of the desired consistency.
- To use, arrange cooked chicken pieces in a casserole dish, cover
with the almond sauce, and cover. Heat in the oven at 325 degrees
- Serve with rice and a crisp salad.