Crema Mexicana (Mexican Style Thick Cream)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup good quality commercial sour cream with active cultures or 2 tablespoons buttermilk with active cultures
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream just long enough to take the chill off to
bring it to body temperature. If you have ready access to a low-range instant read
thermometer, it should be about 100 degrees F.
- Off the heat, whisk in the sour cream (or buttermilk) and pour into a glass jar.
Set the lid on the jar (but do not tighten it), then place the jar in a warmish
place (it shouldn't be over 90 degrees F). After 12 hours, the cream should
be noticeably thicker.
- Refrigerate (you can tighten the lid now) for at least 4 hours or, better yet,
overnight to complete the thickening.
Yield: about 1 cup
Crema will last for at least a week in the refrigerator.
Posted by swm56 at Recipe Goldmine 6/13/01 10:08:58 am
Source: Rick Bayless-One Plate at a Time