Hatch Green Chile Sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped roasted mild green chile, preferably New Mexican or Anaheim, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- in a heavy saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. add the onion
and sauté until well softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic
and sauté for an additional minute, then add the flour and continue
cooking for another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Mix in the chile. Pour in the
stock and add the seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce
the heat to a low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until thickened
but still very pourable.
- Serve warm with enchiladas or other dishes.
The sauce keeps, refrigerated, for about 5 days and freezes well.
Source: The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison