Home-Style Sauce (Salsa Casera)
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 fresh serrano chiles, stemmed, partially seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, including some of the green
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed Mexican lime juice
- Bruise ingredients by hand, and if they are too dry, add more ice
- Combine all ingredients and allow flavors to ripen for 30
minutes before serving.
The only thing that can be substituted is fresh jalapenos. Never
use canned tomatoes.