- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, tightly packed
- Juice from 1 lime (or more to taste)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup frozen yellow and white corn kernels
- 1 bunch green onions
- Chips for serving, if desired
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Peel the garlic. Turn on a blender or food processor (at least a
5 cup capacity) and drop the garlic onto the moving blade to chop
finely. Add the cilantro and pulse to chop finely. Squeeze the juice
from the lime into the blender. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Pulse 3 or 4 times to blend. Pour into a 4 cup or larger mixing
bowl. Taste for the lime and add more if desired. Set aside.
- Place the beans and frozen corn in a colander and run under cool
water to the beans and thaw the corn. Shake well to eliminate extra
water. Add to the salsa bowl.
- Chop the green onions and enough of
the tender tops for about 3/4 cup chopped. Stir into salsa. Spoon
into a serving dish.
- Serve at once with chips (if desired) or refrigerate
until ready to serve.
Serves 12 as dinner.
Leftovers will keep for up to 4 days covered in the refrigerator.
You can also stir in roasted garlic, jalapeno peppers, green
chilies, shredded cheese, roasted red peppers, sliced black olives,
freshly chopped tomato and/or small dollops of sour cream (over
Approximate values per serving without chips: 61 calories (3%
from fat), trace of fat I0 g. saturated) 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g protein,
13 g carbohydrates, 3.5 g dietary fiber and 171 mg sodium