Pico de Gallo (Beak of the Rooster)
Pico de Gallo is probably the most famous of any salsas. You can make it chunky or smooth.
- 3 large tomatoes, diced*
- 1 medium size red or white onion, diced**
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped (use more or less depending on your taste)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (or more if you prefer it hotter)
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced (optional)
- Wash tomatoes and cilantro.
- Dice tomatoes, onions, chop cilantro, jalapenos and the optional
ingredients (avocado, cucumber).
- Put ingredients into a bowl.
- Add salt, garlic and the lemon juice. Mix well.
* You can roast the tomatoes for great flavor. Heat a skillet over medium
high heat. Place whole tomatoes in the skillet and toast the outsides until
the skin begins to break and split apart. Remove from heat and continue with
** I prefer red onion for the color.
If you prefer smooth salsa as opposed to chunky, whirl everything in a blender.