Red Chile Sauce 2
- 12 large red dried chile peppers
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch Mexican oregano
- Remove seeds and white threads or veins from peppers and wash in
cold water; cook in boiling water for about 10 minutes, or until
- Remove the peppers and keep the water in which they were boiled.
Grind the peppers to a paste; adding a little of the water in which
they were boiled to make this easier; add in all 1 quart of the
water in which the peppers were boiled.
- Heat the fat or oil in a skillet. Fry the garlic in this. Remove
and brown the flour in this fat; gradually add the chile mixture
and salt, stirring well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
This will keep in a cool place for a while.