Southwestern Tomato Sauce
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 small bell peppers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 pounds ripe plum or regular tomatoes or 2 (20 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes or4 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Brown onion and green pepper in vegetable oil. Stir frequently over
low heat until vegetables are soft and onion is transparent.
- If using canned tomatoes or Tomato Sauce, stir into the oil mixture.
If using fresh tomatoes, peel them over the pot containing the oil
mixture and drop in whole tomato. Taste and add spices. Simmer,
covered, for about 1 hour, then adjust seasonings.
Southwestern Tomato Sauce can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator
for about 1 week, or frozen for up to 9 months.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.