Spanish Sauce (Salsa Espanola)
This is a great sauce for homemade pizzas or with spaghetti.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 small can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon mashed garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oils in a Dutch oven and sauté onion for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice and tomato paste. Mix to blend.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in garlic and bay leaf.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and store in the refrigerator.
This sauce will keep for 2 weeks, and it freezes well.