- 2 (28 ounce) cans canned whole tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 3 teaspoons chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Using a food processor, chop tomatoes, onions and peppers to a coarse
consistency.Simmer them with the jalapenos, chiles and lemon juice
for about one hour.
- Add remaining ingredients, allowing dry ingredients to rest on top
of the liquid about 15 minutes before stirring in. Simmer about
45 minutes after stirring.
- Put a small amount in a dish to cool for tasting. Adjust hotness
by adding cayenne.
- For a thinner sauce add a little water while cooking.
sauce until ready to use.
Yield: about 3 1/2 pints