Texas Barbecue Sauce
This sauce can be used with beef, pork and poultry.
- 6 dried red New Mexican chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 4 dried chiltepin chiles
- 1/2 cup commercial "chili" sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 5 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
- Cover the chiles with hot water and let them sit for 30 minutes
- In a blender, puree the chiles with 1 cup of the water they were
soaked in until smooth.
- Sauté onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree the sauce in a blender until smooth.
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
To use, apply toward the end of the grilling time as the sauce may