These cornmeal-coated hot dogs on a stick are sold in beachfront stands along
California's southern coast.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 pound hot dogs
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Prepared mustard
- Sift together dry ingredients. Stir in cornmeal. Cut in shortening until
mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix egg and milk and stir into cornmeal mixture until blended. Insert wooden
Popsicle sticks into end of each hot dot. Coat evenly with batter.
- Fry in deep oil heated to 375 degrees F until brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with ketchup and mustard.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Sandwich Recipes