"Little Joe" Steak Sandwich
From Guadalajara comes this version of the steak sandwich known as "El Pepito"
or "Little Joe." Hot cooked steak, thinly sliced, is served on a crisp
roll and spread with avocado sauce (guacamole) and refried beans. Chile or taco
sauce takes the place of steak sauce.
- 1 pound lean tender steak (sirloin New York cut about 1/4 inch thick, broiled or barbecued)
- 4 crusty round or rectangular rolls
- Refried beans with cheese
- 1/4 cup guacamole
- 4 thin slices mild sweet onion
- Taco sauce
- Trim fat from steak if desired and barbecue or pan fry.
- Split rolls and spread one side with 1 tablespoon of refried beans and the
other side of the split roll with about 1 tablespoon of guacamole. Pile equal
portions of steak on the bean side of each roll. Put onion slice on the guacamole
- Serve the sandwiches open so that sauce can be added according to taste
before they are closed.
- Sandwiches can be eaten out of hand or with knife and fork.
Yield: 4 servings
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 8/17/02 8:13:47 am.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Sandwich Recipes