Southwestern Cheddar Melts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices (8 ounces) Cheddar cheese
- 4 large tomatillos, thinly sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, and cumin; mix well and
spread over 1 side of 4 slices of bread. Top each with 2 slices of Cheddar cheese,
1 sliced tomatillo, 1 tablespoon chiles and remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet or griddle over low heat.
- Cook the sandwiches, covered for 3 to 4 minutes each side, until golden
and the cheese is melted.
Makes 4 sandwiches.