- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Enough water to make medium dough
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 to 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 1/2 to 1 cup pickled jalapeno juice
Topping suggestion #1
- Mozzarella cheese
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, diced
- Avocados, peeled and cubed, or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Pickled jalapenos, sliced (optional)
Topping suggestion #2
- Sopaipillas: Sift all dry ingredients together. Cut in the shortening. Add
water and make into dough. Let rest 15 minutes. Eggs may be omitted if you desire.
- Roll out dough about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3-inch rectangular
- Fry in grease at 375 degrees F until golden brown; then turn them over.
They puff up quite a bit.
- Filling: Combine all ingredients in a skillet, and fry until meat is brown.
Drain, and set aside.
- Sauce: Combine soup and chiles in a saucepan. Bring to a low boil. Add enough
jalapeno juice to make mixture thinner but not watery. It should be a little
thicker than cream. Allow to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often. Set
- Split fresh fried sopaipillas on one side to form a pocket. Fill with meat,
then pour some sauce mixture in. Close sopaipilla and top with additional sauce
to cover entire sopaipilla. Top with your favorite toppings.
- Topping Suggestion #1: Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over each sopaipillas.
Microwave for 30 seconds or until cheese melts.
- Top with favorite toppings.