Tucson Treasures Sandwich
A delicious piled high sandwich with a taste of the old west with today's
fun, the heat of the Tucson Sonoran Desert with the cool refreshing taste of creamy
avocadoes all between two slices of bread! It's like taking a great vacation
at your lunch or dinner meal!
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise (Hellman's or Best Foods)
- 1/2 cup thick sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno chile, deseeded and deveined, finely minced
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices good quality sourdough bread
- 8 (1-ounce) slices peppered turkey breast
- 8 (1-ounce) slices mesquite smoked ham
- 8 (1/2-ounce) slices Havarti cheese
- 8 (1/2-ounce) slices Colby or longhorn cheese
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 3 avocadoes*, peeled, pitted, sliced and lightly drizzled with fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups alfalfa sprouts
- 1 cup ripe (black) olives, sliced
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together until well blended the mayonnaise,
thick sour cream, sugar, cilantro, red onion, garlic, jalapeno chile, and salt
and fresh ground black pepper to taste, then place in the refrigerator for at
least 4 hours to chill and let the flavors blend. Excellent if left for overnight.
- Next lightly toast the 8 slices of Sourdough Bread until it is just barely
tanned and lay-out to begin assembling. Using a spatula, spread the sandwich
dressing mixture equally over all the slices of bread. Then, selecting 4 slices
of bread, begin by layering in order the peppered turkey breast, Havarti cheese,
mesquite smoked ham, Colby or longhorn cheese, beefsteak tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts,
avocado slices, and sprinkle the ripe olive slices over the tops. Cover with
the remaining slice of dressed bread. Using a sharp serrated bread knife, slice
the sandwich at off-center diagonal, secure with a toothpick if desired.
Serve with a spicy corn and black bean relish and blue corn tortilla chips
for a great sandwich meal!
Try some Prickly Pear infused Lemonade in a saguaro cactus shaped glass with
crushed ice and a sprig of fresh mint for an especially fun and tasty touch!
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about
8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Recipe credit: California Avocado Commission
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Sandwich Recipes