Anasazi Bean Soup
- 1 pound Anasazi beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks, celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 11 cups chicken stock
- 8 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Additional water if needed
- Garnish: parsley, cotija cheese
- Wash and pick over the beans.
- Heat vegetable oil in a stock pot and add the onion, celery and carrots.
Cook over medium heat until onion is cooked through.
- Add the Anasazi beans and remaining ingredients with the exception of salt,
water and garnish. Cook over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until the beans
are tender. Taste your soup and add water or salt if necessary.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish and serve.
Yield: 8 servings